Tuma's Book of the Month: How It Works
Continue reading to learn more about the service and purchase a box. Want to be the first to know about each month's books? Make sure to sign up for our newsletter today.
The aim of Tuma's Book of the Month is to highlight and amplify diverse voices, stories, and experiences by people of color who have historically been silenced. As Nigerian writer, Chimamanda Ngozi Adiche, discusses in her well-known Ted Talk, the danger of a single story is that "the single story creates stereotypes, and the problem with stereotypes is not that they are untrue, but that they are incomplete. They make one story become the only story." There is POWER in the stories told about and by others. By learning the stories of those who may be different from us, we recognize our shared humanity--what brings us together, rather than what separates us. It creates a larger community built on love and respect. This initiative is my form of social justice and creating a world of equity for all.
How it Works:
- You will have a choice between several titles by writers of color every month, in various genres including Adult, YA, Middle Grade, and Children's books. The titles will be hand-picked by myself (learn more about me) based on my own reading, research, and recommendations from others. I aim to provide a selection of new, old, popular, obscure, and classics, so everyone can find something exciting to love and diversify their reading!
- There are THREE BOTM options to choose from:
- Classic Box includes book(s) of your choice carefully wrapped in an adorable custom box with bookmark, pen, and small gifts (cute/ quirky stickers, pins, note-tags, etc.), starting from $14.99.
- Deluxe Box includes everything in Classic Box, plus special gifts by creators of color, such as stunning bookmarks, candles, soap, postcards, etc. for an added fee ($20)
- Minimalist Box includes your book(s) of choice giftwrapped with personalized note and bookmark, starting from $9.99.
- Books will be available in Hardcover and/or Paperback, based on what's available to cater to everyone's needs.
- Save when you add-on books to your BOTM Box with special add-on pricing, starting from $8.99. BOTM Boxes can comfortably (and neatly) hold 3 medium-size books. However, order as many books as you'd like and I will make it work using my book magic powers! (Used books can also be add-ons to any BOTM Boxes.)
- Previous BOTM titles are available in Classic and Minimalist options, while supplies last.
- We are NOT a subscription, so there is no need to remember to log in to skip a month. You can order anytime, but here is our general schedule:
- 25th of previous month: Newsletter announcing upcoming titles sent via email.
- 1st of the month: Announcement posts on social media.
- Orders received by the 5th of the month are guaranteed to ship out by the 20th (possibly sooner) to arrive by the end of the month.
- I'm a one-woman team and a full-time teacher. Thanks for understanding!
- Boxes are shipped via USPS Media Mail (2-9 days). Orders over $100 will ship for free. Need your box sooner? Select expedited shipping via USPS Priority Mail (1-3 days) and I will prioritize packing your box.
- Want gifts in the box to be tailored to you? Leave a note during checkout with a list of your loves/likes and I'll do my best! Otherwise, I make my picks based on book choice and/or our interactions on social media. =)
- Earn rewards points in our Book Lover Rewards Program for every purchase. Redeem points to save off the cost of your future BOTMs and other items on the site. Refer friends for even more points! Buy 12 BOTM and earn a free add-on book for your 13th box!
"I am so happy to have found Tuma's shop and her BOTM collections. This was my 3rd box and I am hooked! It's clear how much time and energy Tuma takes to carefully select the titles for her latest BOTM - I especially love that she focuses on female and diverse voices for these selections. I like that I am able to pick the books I want for each box, but since this isn't a subscription, I don't always need to ship a box every month. I now always look forward to the days she shares her selections and it's been hard to not want to fill up my box with every single title :)"
- R.Z (Aug. 2020)